Bone density scanning through Wake Internal Medicine in Raleigh NC also called dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA or DEXA) or bone densitometry, is an enhanced form of x-ray technology that is used to measure bone loss. DEXA is today’s established standard for measuring bone mineral density (BMD).
Bone Density Instructions
- You may need to have a lumbar spine x-ray taken if this is your first scan or if it’s been more than five years since your last lumbar spine.
- Please wear outer clothing that does not have zippers, snaps, or buttons.(i.e. jogging suits, pullover dresses, or elastic waist pants with pullover tops).
- DO NOT TAKE FOSAMAX, ACTONEL, CALCIUM TABLETS, VITAMIN D OR MULTIVITAMINS FOR 24 HOURS BEFORE YOUR SCAN. Miacalcin may be used since it is not an oral medication.
- Your bone density appointment must be at least a week after having a contrast study or nuclear stress test.
- In some cases, insurance may not cover this procedure. You may want to contact your insurance provider to verify coverage. The procedure code is 77080 DEXA.
- Your physician recommends you have this scan. If your insurance company does not cover the charge, you will be expected to pay for this procedure.
- The DEXA scanner is located in SUITE 100 on the 1st floor. You will be given a questionnaire to complete at that time.